CHECKLIST FOR MINIMUM SAFETY STANDARD
- THE TRUCK HEAD:
The Truck head must not be with Plastic or cracked windscreen, must have functional wipers, inner rear view and side mirrors, safety belts, be neat and generally presentable.
- VEHICLE & DRIVER’S PARTICULARS:
The vehicle must have valid license, Road worthiness and Insurance certificates, the driver must possess appropriate and valid driver’s license.
- RTSSS AND SPEED LIMITER:
The vehicle must comply with the following FRSC requirements:
- The vehicle must have Road Traffic Safety Standardization Scheme (RTSSS) Certificate duly issued by the FRSC;
- The vehicle must have speed limiting device installed on it.
- TRAILER MAIN BODY (CARRIAGE UNIT)
The carriage unit must be fitted with retro reflectors, trafficators and warning signs. Carriage unit chassis must not be weak, bent or rusted.
- No worn out or expired tyres
- Tyres must be complete and all wheel studs and nuts must be in place
- One or two spare tyres of good quality.
- BRAKING SYSTEM:
Both foot and hand brakes must be active.
- LIFTING JACK:
Lifting Jack must be in good working condition and of appropriate tonnage.
A minimum of 2 no. wedges must be on the Truck.
- Starting and stopping of engine must be by the driver via the ignition key and stopping button or switch respectively.
- Engine radiator must be covered at all times without overheating sign.
- Excessive engine exhaust smoke is not acceptable.
Batteries must be properly fitted.
- BRAKE LIGHTS:
All brake lights must be functional.
Trucks and Trailers must be fitted with functional and visible trafficators (right & left) both at the trailer head and at the Container Carriage Units.
- FIRE EXTINGUISHER: Fire extinguishers must be available and functional.
(a) 2 Nos. 9kg for articulated Trucks/Lorries;
(b) 2 Nos. 6kg for non-articulated Trucks/Lorries.
- WARNING DEVICE:
- The horn must be functionally audible.
- Two caution signs with warning signal/light must be carried on the truck.
- FUEL TANK:
Functional fuel cover.
- TWIST LOCKS:
The twist locks for a 20-footer container carrier should be 4 standard container twist locks while that of 40-footer container carrier should be 8 standard twist locks.
- LATCHING BELTS:
In case of billets, pipes and other general cargo carriages, the carriage must be fixed with tension ropes/latching belts.
- TURN TABLE:
Must be in good working condition.
In addition to the above minimum conditions, management at a later date may consider the possibility of fixing age limit for all Trucks coming into the Port for operation.