CHECK LIST FOR MINIMUM SAFETY STANDARD
THE TRUCK HEAD
- The Truck head must be neat, generally presentable and all operational devices and control in good working condition.
- The Truck windscreen must be double-glazed; no plastic or cracked windscreen.
- The driver and passenger seat must be in good condition with appropriate safety devices e.g. safety belt.
- The vehicle particulars must be valid e.g. vehicle license, roadworthiness, Insurance, etc.
- The driver must possess appropriate and valid driver’s license.
TRAILER MAIN BODY (CARRIAGE UNIT)
- The carriage must be appropriate for the load i.e. flat bed for containerize goods while bucket rigid body for general goods.
- The chassis of the trailer must be of adequate strength for the tonnage it is designed to carry.
- The tonnage of the load should be equal or less than the axle load carrying capacity.
- The carriage unit must be fitted with reflector, trafficators and warning signs.
- No worn out tyres.
- Tyres must have a minimum thread of 5mm depth.
- There should be no visible cut/sowing/rethreading of tyres.
- Tyres should be gauged to the recommended pressures.
- All wheel studs and nuts must be in place.
- All Trucks must carry a minimum of two spare tyres of good quality.
- Both foot and hand brakes must be active.
- Lifting Jack must be in good working condition.
- A minimum of two (2) nos. wedges must be on the Truck.
- Starting and stopping of an engine must be by the driver via the ignition key and stop button or switch respectively.
- Engine radiator must be covered at all times without overheating sign.
- Excessive engine exhaust smoke is not acceptable.
- Engine generally must be washed periodically.
- Battery compartment must be well secured.
- It should be insulated and fixed.
- All brake lights must be functional.
- The brake unit must contain the brake light reflectors.
- The trailer head and carriage unit must also have reflector units.
- Every vehicle must be fitted with functional and visible trafficators (right & left) both at the trailer head and at the Container Carriage Units.
- Fire extinguishers must be available and functional.
- The horn must be functionally audible.
- Horn must meet the road safety standard.
- The trailer must be fitted with a functional amber-revolving light.
- Two caution signs with warning signal/light must be carried on the truck.
- Must be equipped with properly secured and functional fuel cover.
- The twist locks for a 20- footer container carrier should be 4 standard Container twist locks while that of 40- footer container Carrier should be 8 standard twist locks.
- All twist locks must be collapsible type.
- In case of billets, pipes and other general cargo carriages, the carriage must be fixed with tension ropes and tensioner.
TRAILER LANDING LEGS:
- The landing legs of trailers must have functional winding device.
- The legs must be able to sustain load.
- The functional gear winner must be greased at all times.
FEDERAL ROAD SAFETY CORPS (FRSC) REQUIREMENT:
- The vehicle must have Road Traffic Safety Standardization Scheme (RTSSS) Certificate of FRSC.
- The vehicle must have speed limiter installed on it.
In addition to the above minimum conditions, management at a later date may consider the possibility of fixing age limit for all Trucks coming into the Port for operation.