REQUIREMENTS FOR TRUCK REGISTRATION/PERMIT WITH NPA
Interested truck owners shall:
- Ensure that the truck(s) is/are in a good working condition that meets NPA’s Minimum Safety Standard (See checklist).
- Contact the Safety Department of Nigerian Ports Authority at various locations to invite truck for inspection as follows:
- HQs Annex, Apapa (former Western Ports’ building) for the two Ports of Lagos (Tin Can Island and Lagos Ports Complexes)
- Respective Administration Buildings of the four outer Ports (Warri, Calabar. Port Harcourt and Onne)
For the inspection, fleet owners with ten trucks and above could be visited in their holding bays (within Lagos state for those in Lagos and within the Port towns of the 4 (four) Ports above that are outside Lagos), while owners in Lagos with less than ten trucks should take trucks to Brawal Yard, Kirikiri Lighter Terminal Phase 1 (KLT1) or Lily Pond Terminal, Ijora while the inspection points for those in outer Port locations are obtainable from respective Safety Departments.
- Trucks inspected and found to meet the Minimum Safety Standard shall be issued a Safety Certification paper. Trucks that do not meet the Minimum Safety Standard shall have to undergo necessary repairs and re-presented for inspection at a later date.
- Safety Certification paper shall be taken to Safety office, HQ Annex, Apapa for Lagos trucks and the respective Administration Buildings in outer Ports for authentication.
- Authenticated Safety Certification paper shall be taken to Commercial Department in Lagos Ports Complex, Apapa for Lagos trucks and the Commercial Departments of outer Ports where Debit Note shall be raised and issued to the applicant.
- Payment of the sum on Debit Note shall be made into Nigerian Ports Authority’s Treasury Single Account in any Bank of the trucker’s choice.
- On confirmation of payment, NPA’s Accounts Department, Lagos Ports Complex, Apapa shall issue NPA Payment Receipt for the payment.
- NPA Payment Receipt shall be taken to the Safety Department and stickers for the current year shall be issued accordingly. Each sticker is issued specific to a truck and valid only for January to December of the year of issuance.
- Safety Certification
- NPA Payment Receipt
24 hours after inspection
N10, 000.00 (Ten Thousand Naira) per truck